Food talk from a person who enjoys eating (and often eats too much)

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chain Restaurants


It can only be expected, that every foodie will get tired of cooking for a bit, every now and then. This foodie is going through that lately. I've been frequenting some chain restaurants (don't scowl yet) in an effort to save money and get a quick bite to eat. Rather than giving a top 5 or 10 list (even though you must have picked up by now how I love list-making), I thought I would talk about one place at a time. 

Outback Steakhouse: As a child, I loved to eat here. I would down about 4 root beers in one sitting (leaving 12x more hyper than when we arrived). Until yesterday, I hadn't eaten here in almost 3 years! So, I decided to give it a try. 

Appetizer: Bloomin' Onion- although I'm a huge fan of onion rings, this restaurant specialty didn't impress me. The onion was so deep fried, it was hard to taste anything outside of the oil it was cooked in. Plus, the sauce was odd (it had bubbles in it).
Main Course: 12 oz. Outback Special- the sirloin center cut was mediocre. This could have been due to the fact that it was way overcooked, despite me asking for medium. I imagine the steak would have been quite tastey if it hadn't been overdone. The dish also comes with two sides: I picked Fresh Steamed Broccoli and a Loaded Baked Potato. The side dishes were great, perfectly cooked and delectable. 
Drink: Pinot Grigio, Estancia, California- Not bad for $7!
Desserts: Chocolate Chocolate Tower- A towering (this is not an exaggeration) chocolate layer cake with raspberry sauce. I also added whipped cream, which really added to the cake. The cake was so big, we took it home and saved half for later. 

I actually took half of my meal home and reheated it tonight for dinner. As a fan of leftovers, I think Outback reheats extremely well! So if the large portions are too large for you, don't be afraid to box it up and take it home. I think next week I'll try Bugaboo Creek for dinner and compare the two...stay tuned!

UPDATE (4/14/08): I gave Outback another chance this last weekend and tried a burger. What a difference! The Bacon Cheese Burger was phenomenal and cooked perfect. I would recommend the burgers over the steaks here any day! 

No comments: